The process of filing federal taxes can seem nerve-wracking to many people. Especially for those who are not familiar with the processes of the United States tax system. However, this is a debt that both citizens and permanent residents must comply with on a mandatory basis, to avoid problems with the treasury.
For that reason, it is essential to know the necessary steps to enunciate your federal taxes. In this way, you can prepare your income and deductions to file the declaration and be able to make the payment. To help you with this procedure, here at The Look we bring you all the help you need. Find out how to file your federal taxes.
How to File a Tax Return in the United States
In order to issue your taxes with the treasury in the correct way, you first need to have certain basic documents that are mandatory. These are as follows:
- Form W-2 from each of your employers that you had in the last tax year.
- Other forms of income and interest are to be reported on Forms 1099 and 1099-INT.
- Receipts for charitable donations, medical and business expenses in case you wish to make a detailed statement.
Once you have this essential documentation, you can file your federal taxes quickly and easily. To do this, you just have to follow the following steps:
- You have to present the documents that reveal your civil or tax situation. If you are legally married, the percentage of household expenses will change.
- Determine how you plan to file taxes. Currently, the IRS recommends using software to prevent errors and optimize the process.
- You'll have to choose between a standard deduction or an itemized statement, depending on which one favors you more.
- If you have outstanding debts with the IRS, you will need to learn how to cover your tax money and options for requesting a payment plan.
- Finally, you should check the deadline you have to file your taxes.
Need help to file your taxes - Contact the IRS
Within the official website of the IRS, you have many practical solutions at your disposal, regarding the most frequent doubts. In this way, you can prevent any inconvenience quickly and efficiently. However, you also have the option to call customer service, in case you have a more complex question.
However, it should be mentioned that IRS customer service can have a fairly long wait time. Especially during federal tax filing season. Therefore, you should be patient and wait for a representative to attend to you when they have the time available.
Alternative options for requesting help
Nowadays, there are more and more methods and tools of assistance to file taxes with the Treasury. In addition to the IRS website and customer service, you can also seek help with the following options:
- Tax preparation software such as TurboTax, FreeTaxUSA, H&R Block, TaxSlayer and Credit Karma.
- Tax Help Centers
- Tax Counseling Programs
You also have the option to consult with the different non-profit organizations that exist today. These can offer personalized advice so that you declare your taxes and do not leave you with any outstanding debt. This way, you won't have to worry about breaking the law or suffering tax penalties in the USA.